Sunday, September 27, 2009

Different Voices vs. Conventional Wisdom

I've discovered two different tumblogs, STFU Gays and HomoShame.

Conventional wisdom says that I, as a gay man, should be outraged by these blogs, but actually I'm kind of amused and sympathetic.

I'm amused because I have so little use for what passes as conventional wisdom in the gay community these days. It pushes a political correctness that trumpets diversity so long as this diversity doesn't diverge from its beliefs and thinking.

And I'm sympathetic because conventional wisdom encourages a great many of the flagrant violations of good taste that are so easily lampooned in these blogs. I mean, come on, gay community, if you're going to be sitting ducks, you're going to get shot at.

In other feats of twisted logic, conventional wisdom holds that as a gay person, you're exhibiting self-hatred if you don't want to identify with the heterosexual institutions of marriage and children. Conventional wisdom also seems to maintain that it is good to promulgate hackneyed stereotypes in the public domain because it keeps the heterosexuals comfortable.

I have never subscribed to Conventional Wisdom's newsletter and it's something that I just have no desire to understand. If I were concerned about it, however, maybe I'd be worried that I wasn't straight.

I could leave you with that quote from Voltaire about disagreeing with what you say, etc. But to the owners of these two tumblogs, I just want to say, Rock on.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog, and such a filthy tweet you sent me about it, too. Yes, you're in the running for a t-shirt, you bastard. Your chances don't look too shabby, either.

    --the STFU Gay Dude

    ReplyDelete

This blog is not exactly a family show, but please do us all a favor and try to keep your comments above an NC-17 rating.